View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3776041)   #153
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The real issue at Croft is that it is a really rubbish rallycross track and whilst spectating is excellent on the tarmac it's mediocre on the loose. The start is entirely inaccessible too . All of this is in stark contrast to the venue in the late 80s and early 90s pre race circuit renaissance when the course was brilliant and viewing was close up , especially on the loose . It was very , very fast and I remember seeing people like Welch in 200yard slides . Back in Internations Cup days there was a very big entry and a real buzz about the place .

I am happy to have a race circuit back but the current setup is rallycross lite , poorly supported and with far too many tedious races with the likes of Suzuki Swifts droning around . The sport needs noise , spectacle and close racing and whilst the supercars provide this they are so few that the waits between their races proved bloody interminable and I was bored silly some of the time.

Having been utterly blown away by the spectacle, entry size , atmosphere and slick organisation of Autograss down the road at Thornborough last month I know which I now prefer ...