View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3840132)   #5
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Been thinking about this in general terms lately and I agree.

Compulsory pit stops, pit stop windows, minimum pit stop times... These things just remove strategic possibilities and also make the racing very difficult to follow from trackside.

I watched the DTM race from the Norisring the other week. Some early front runners pitted early so dropped down the order, but they were clearly still going to be the front runners when everyone had had their compulsory stop, so the TV just followed them, not the actual race leader on the road. What's the point?

I understand that there are many reasons for these rules, such as evening up the racing especially in non-formula series where you are trying to encourage variety. And it's a way of getting people talking about tyres when you have a spec tyre etc etc. But it's not racing.