View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3932626)   #36
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
A good point. I rarely post in such threads either as I often find them mawkish and crass . But I was (perhaps clumsily) making the point that ,for many , modern motorsport begins and ends with current F1 . I suspect only a tiny percentage of modern F1 fans even know about , let alone attend, the huge array of live motorsport we have in the UK .

For them , some ephemeral trivia about whose logo appears on an F1 car seems far more important than who was fastest at Shelsley Walsh (where?) or the programme for 2020 National racing events('that's like Goodwood innit ? ') and Autosport reflects this . We no longer have motorsport enthusiasts in any number, but we have a big F1 fanbase for whom such status just means watching too much TV .
That's really unfair. It's 2019 not 1969, no matter how much we wish otherwise.

Surely the problems of today are far more important than the victories of years ago? We can't affect what's happened but we can be interested in and try to influence what's happening.

As for fans only watching F1, I've no real interest in football or rugby but sometimes watch the top international games. Should I be banned from doing so because I don't also read about Dagenham Boadecias playing the Bromham Owl Appreciation Society in the Southern Zone 2 Wednesday League for Left Footed Players? If doesn't make me a bad person.

And your point about "rarely posting in tribute threads" really has echoes of my Woolworths comment earlier on.

IMHO of course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk