View Single Post
Old 22 May 2019, 21:38 (Ref:3905283)   #891
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
All the F1 and F2 drivers have been racing go-karts since they were 6 or 7 years old. I think you under-estimate how good they are.

The 2018 Williams was already hairy, difficult to drive and unpredictable -- that's why Stroll and Sirotkin had so many offs with it after all.

The Mercedes is demonstrably a good car. It's predictable and doesn't have the instability problems of, say, the 2018 Williams where the downforce would be there one moment and disappear the next, spitting the driver off into the gravel trap.

Like I said, these are ALL good drivers -- a car that is about to throw them off at every corner with wildly untrustable downforce will hardly be a gold standard of anything...

Less downforce and softer suspension just means slower response rates, and less agile reactions required, which is hardly a gain of any kind.
I take a little exception to this. I am becoming more and more of the belief that the current stock of f1 (and other top series, too) drivers are nothing special. Seems rather than being a natural ability inherent in them, it is a skill that could be attained to a similar level by such a large percentage of people as to make them not all that great in relation to normal.

I am increasingly having a harder time believing that the supreme drivers in the world all just happen to come from the richest families and circumstances in the world. As you said, they've all been racing go karts since 6-7, and have had every opportunity for coaching and improving equipment through financial resources ever since. Seems like a learned skill that is transferable to many, given the same opportunities.