View Single Post
Old 15 Oct 2018, 05:27 (Ref:3856887)   #175
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Not seen any of it, am (was?) planning to watch the highlight show, but sounds like I shouldn't bother.

Menard has always looked out of his depth in Cup to my eyes. He's not alone mind...
I'll recap the race for you:

**SPOILER**

Stewart-Haas takes team co-operation to another level, running 1-2-3-4 for nearly all laps. When they don't the other drivers are too stupid to stop them from taking over the top four spots within a few laps anyway. It's single file for much of the race. There's no Big One, just a few spins and a few minor wrecks. A late caution takes the race to overtime. Harvick runs out of gas before they even restart. SHR keeps leading, but Kurt Busch runs dry on the final turn allowing Almirola to snatch the win and secure his place in the round of 8.

**/SPOILER**
tl;dr - the last two laps is the ONLY interesting thing about this travesty of a race.

As for Menard... The cars right behind him as he was blocking like a madman? His own "team mates", via the Penske affiliation, who, with Keselowski in charge, were trying their damndest to get the other morons organised in order to run down the cars from SHR. Just how good were SHR? They drove away, sometimes just the four of them, from the rest of the pack completely on their own. It was ridiculous how good they were. It was a Mike Tyson-in-his-prime beat-up of the rest of the field. Again, SHR did absolutely nothing wrong and it was damn impressive. But it sure as hell didn't make for an exciting race.

Edit - Oh and here's a fun stat for you: yesterday's race saw a total of... 15 lead changes. 15! At Talladega! That's half the amount we've seen the last couple of years, around 30, which in turn is roughly half of the passes we saw quite regularly a mere five years ago (when there were 52 passes for the lead during the 2013 fall race which McMurray won).

Last edited by rustyfan; 15 Oct 2018 at 05:34.