View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2022, 19:27 (Ref:4121996)   #1198
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Peter, I admit my points were not extensively thought out but an off the cuff reaction to John’s point. Nevertheless it wasn’t a Brexit point or a an isolationist point, more that “we” should join together to replace our reliance on Russia or China and look after our own interests, deciding which countries amongst our own “block” (whether NATO, AusUKUS, Europe, Japan or a hybrid of them all) sources and manufacturers or grows whichever particular goods that we need.
Maybe this will result in another “scramble for Africa” to secure raw materials, and maybe that helps them out, too.
Life was so much simpler in the “Cold War”!
In the mean time, I don’t think that Belgian beer, French wine or German sausages are strategic, but others may! We have Larkins and other real ales, South African/NZ /Argentina/ Californian wines and our own sausages and pork pies!
You can't underestimate the importance of Belgian beer! I've also found a new French brewer here selling beer under the name 'John's Beer', which is fine by me.

Back to Andy's point, I really think it would be a good idea if the English-speaking world collaborated a lot more in the production of 'stuff'. No stifling EU-type nonsense - that just bogs everything down -but just good old fashioned working together for the common good. I am sure there has to be a future in that. We need at least one low-wage economy on board though!