View Single Post
Old 10 Feb 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3956751)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Thanks. That's all the info I've been able to find, also. No specifics.

I like that it's mentioned "if a race team loses its major sponsors," "Having a charter the team owner can sell would ease the financial burden substantially."
They fail to remind, however, that the charter had to be purchased in the first place, increasing the amount needed initially........
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I can see that, and that is probably good, but how does a new team gain entrance? Waiting for someone else's failure?
Exactly that skycafe, it brings NASCAR in line with the other US sports. For better or worse. But that was exactly their goal, make owning a Cup team similar to owning an NFL, NBA, MLB team, in a few respects not entirely. There's only so many teams and someone has to sell, or the league expand to add a team. The owners, mostly the lower end teams from the comments over the last 4 seasons, wanted something with a cash value for their efforts. Andretti wants to do the same in Indy car.

There is value to selling the race start to others, a few cars are entered by one team on another's charter for the 500. If a team knows they aren't in it for the full season they can make some money buy selling their guaranteed slot in the bigger races. In theory, most races don't hit max capacity outside of Daytona so not really valid in my eyes. Plus when the owner wants to move on there is something beside the race team he can sell on. Again, in theory, as the charters age the value seems like it will drop not grow. The teams were given charters based on their previous Cup involvement at serious discounts compared to what NASCAR thinks they would be worth. Try charging someone for something they already had, you'll get yelling for sure. There was rumored to be some cash involved but no where near the million dollar figure bandied about for the sale of each Michael Waltrip Racing charter (2) to Gibbs and Stewart Haas racing. You are required to enter and field a car for the full race to maintain your charter, start and parks can result in your charter being revoked. There are only 14 charter team, most have more than 1, and a few are leased out to another team. I think there is some value attached to the previous season finish, it looks like a few teams swapped out one lease for another this season.

Side note, Wood Brothers had to buy a charter? Really NASCAR, gtfo with that bull