View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2011, 04:32 (Ref:2960954)   #479
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In average lap speed, Brands Hatch is faster than Silverstone.

We've seen LMP1s in the last few years outperform even fully-evolved Group C and GTP cars in terms of how fast they can lap quite a number of circuits. That full evolution came about in 1992.

The LMP1 record speed on the Bridge GP circuit at Silverstone is 127.252mph in 2008. Last year's LMP1 record on the new circuit is 127.579mph. This year's fast lap at Silverstone is 127.027mph.

The Group C record at Brands is 128.348mph, set in 1989 (three years prior to the ultimate peak in speed for the category). The layout of Brands Hatch is little-changed since then, so I think it's safe to say Brands is the faster when comparing it to the current Silverstone.

As for the general idea of "smaller" venues, I think it could work, but you have to have the right venues. Zolder, I think, has too many traffic bottlenecks for this sort of multi-class racing. Zandvoort probably works better than Assen, because of more, distinct braking zones, and because even the slower, bottleneck areas have reasonable scope for multiple, competitive racing lines. The almost continuous sequences of high-speed turns at Assen will make the interplay between LMPs and GTs particularly problematic. I think Dijon could work well for LMS, and it should be up to code. Sachsenring could also be an interesting circuit for these guys to run at.

Other than those, in northern Europe, I'm not too keen on many others, and I'm not sure if Anderstorp or Mondello Park could be pressed into service.

Last edited by Purist; 26 Sep 2011 at 04:38.