View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3396372)   #53
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, back on topic ! What happens when it is so wet you cannot even see the edge of the track ?
I was driving the Chev Camaro in Historic Road Sports. Practise was great and, unexpectedly, in the dry. The only slight downer was a 7-hour wait from the Practise at 0900 until the race at 1600 hrs. Still, that's the wacky world of racing for you.

Came the race and the rain started. On the green flag lap the skies opened up and a monsoon came our way. Formed up and then the Start ... by now there was standing/running water an inch deep the whole width and length of the track. Couldn't see the track-edge or track position or the cars ahead of me and beside me.

The first lap was slower than the parade lap. Nil visibility and gawd knows what the guys in the open cars could see... About two-thirds round the first lap, the thought crossed my mind that this was a lottery and one way or another cars were going to start contacting each other.

So, I make no apologies, I pulled into the Paddock at the end of the first lap and abandoned the race. First time I've done that. Rain was still coming down full-strength out of the celestial bucket. The race was red-flagged on lap 2 or 3. After 20 mins or so, no change to the weather, so I packed up, getting thoroughly drenched, and drove the Chev home. Apparently the HRS were held on the grid and the restarted race seems to have got away about 60 minutes after the original start.

Hats off to the HRS drivers who patiently waited for the re-start, and double hats off to the Marshalls who deserve a medal for sticking it out.
Nick