View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2745624)   #213
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Any one know what exactly went on with the Intersport Lola? I know from here that they changed electronics to try and fix a misfire because the car was either down a cylinder or running flat. If it's not electronics, it was probably mechanical-valvetrain?

Dyson's Mazda fourbanger sucked a valve at Lime Rock, and I wonder if the 4.0 V8 and the Mazda fourpot share any parts or design commonalities, as it seems that both engines have had similar issues. But then again, I've heard that the 4.0 was two P07/Rover K/N series 2.0 fours mated on a common crank with the block and heads modified/redesigned to allow for a stressed mounting.
The Intersport V8 is most likely a P32 Twin Turbo V8. With rather LARGE air intakes. The Mazda MZR-R is a fourbanger single turbo that was a complete rethinking of the P07 line of AER turbos. The concept of the Mazda was light and small. The trouble was, they built it so light it allowed flex of the block and that caused failure after failure. The current 2010 version of the engine was beefed up with more internal structural strengthening to resist the torquing of the block.

The V8 is a 2005ish design and, short of common suppliers, probably shared nothing with the Mazda. It was first built as a 3.6L and upgraded after it's first year to 4.0L. Any reliability issues with the V8 are most likely due to Intersport pushing used engines to the max.

The Dyson team reportedly helped Autocon rebuild their tranny and I think this was one of the few races where the tranny did not fail(see Le Mans) Autocon's pace was solid til near the end when....apparently....and embarrassingly.... the LMPc of Bouchet just plain out-ran them.

dh