View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3102264)   #261
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
As the other thread is (rightfully) closed, it seems Maria de Villota has lost an eye due to yesterday´s crash. When you look at how horrific were Massa´s or Schumacher´s accidents that ended in nothing or relatively minor injuries, could have been prevented with some kind of frontal protection, MarÃ*a´s accident at Duxford is a good reminder that Formula 1 still is dangerous and that there are things than can be done (I am not saying only closed cockpits, there are other means...) to improve safety
Although this happened in an F1 car, it could have happened in any single seater (or indeed in many other forms of motorsport, e.g. karting). The fact it hasn't happened before (to my knowledge) pretty much makes this a freak occurrence.

As someone who thinks closed cockpits are a good idea, I do NOT think this incident should be used as a reason for bringing them in.

Interestingly, my Locost has a full cage, which would have prevented any injury had that been the car in this incident. And yet it doesn't reduce visibility. Perhaps that is a better way to go.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.