View Single Post
Old 19 May 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2206264)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This event always seems to be low key so I was surprised by the number of spectators that turned up for this, particularly as it was raining most of the time. I've heard it said that the racing was not particularly good but given those conditions, I think there was some very good and committed driving with some good dices. Some of those that come to mind are Marco Pullen, Arthur and Boysie Thurtle, Stephen Archer and Nicholas Ruddell but, in fact, all acquitted themselves well, with very few offs. Well done to all, and the marshals and officials that kept it running smoothly. I really enjoyed the meeting despite having to spend the evening drying out.

If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking. Despite, or because of their numbers, some of the commentary was impossible to hear due to the echo although that was not necessarily a loss given the nature of some the commentary that could be heard, as much of it had little to do with the racing. It is a curious characteristic of AMOC meetings that the commentaries often give the impression that we are eavesdropping on a conversation by two or three people in a pub bar.

Pics to follow, eventually.