View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2004, 10:09 (Ref:858639)   #14
jwd
Rookie

jwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woofly, I loved that Norton. Remember Roger Buxton's EVO6 towcar for the T.51?
Duncan, why not take a leaf (Ha!) out of the manufacturers book. The Rolls Nice brigade used grease (Wasn't it a save the whales problem . . . ?) inside leather. My brand new set arrived greased. The engineering oils we have tried on leathers seem to rot, degrade or harden the skins. The emulsification with road wash rapidly dispersed the effective lubricating and protective effects.
Father used to cluck at my dry leaf-springs and took opportunity to grease the things as soon as he could.
As for shear: Plum is a rock and roll Yank Tank. The soft suspension is the nature of the beast. Unless you are going to fit virtually-rigid, heavy-duty springs and make her into a street rod (has Woofly been giving you ideas?) . . . um, where was I?

The PTFE pads sound seriously good alternatives and of course are dry. PTFE is susceptible to wear. I wonder how long they last? The water repellant marine greases have some appeal. {Is this one for Andy?}

What is the source of all these Hispano motors that are appearing, Mike? The Curtiss Jenny OX engines are fairly common in the US.... but Wolseley Viper/Hispanos? Why not hunt out a Renault or one of the Salis Collection left-overs? When in Rome, old bean!
ps I'll be at the Pom, too.