View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3794166)   #47
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
From the other thread.

On keyless entry. This is a god send for parents with hands full of stuff and kids hanging on. I know people who will only buy a car with it. That bit is top, living with a car, something useful is brilliant and what the manufacturers are doing to add value to the consumer. So for some necessery.

Push button start. Well, if there is no key then you might as well. Although I think this has mainly come from a style thing from car “enthusiasts”.

Leave it too close to the house door and they can boost it to get in the car. Easy to solve. However it is a good example of criminal activity. Manufacturers invent something new, bad people work out how to get round it, manufacturers have something better, the cycle continues.
I don't doubt the benefits - my younger daughter has found keyless entry a huge help ever since the first vehicle she was able to get with it fitted.

The problem side of the benefit is the challenge that it adds when it doesn't work.

Recent the battery in her system either gave up quite suddenly or could not overpower the "noise" where she had parked. She couldn't lock it and couldn't start it.

Fortunately we discovered how to get to the emergency lock on the door (in case she needed it if I could not find any information about getting it started) and then the trick for starting when the fob battery (or at least the signal) is very low. I was able to explain that on the phone and she the practical gumption to be able to use the guidance and make things work.

I'm not sure there is necessarily a way to prevent theft of wireless comms security locks as they are currently provided.

Sure, in a house you could take steps to make the location of the fob a signal protected area. But then you could do something similar by having an auto signal stop and a button to turn it back on for a fixed period - say 10 mins or something.

However a couple of years ago I saw a video that seemed fairly genuine of a couple of people driving around at night with a laptop and a transmitter and some software that could run a security code generation routine and keep broadcasting until it hit a valid code. Keep transmitting the code until the car has been started and you are away.

Alternatively with a little extra hardware it seems one can program a fob once the access code is known and access to the car has been achieved.

All of that said, back in time when keys were used for so much that they wore down quite quickly is was said that there were only 10 different keys issued to the first generation of Transits. So you had a one in 10 chance (more or less) of getting into another transit is you had a key for one.

For what it is worth I saw this "feature" in action once and it worked very well.