View Single Post
Old 29 Apr 2019, 01:47 (Ref:3900379)   #361
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
This thread's unfortunately be derailed; but would genuinely like to hear from Nissan fans from the Group A days, on their thoughts on how the R32 Nissan GTR was nobbled by CAMS, to try and make the Group A Commodores appear more competitive at the time.
Group A, by the end wasnt Group A any more. If I remember correctly technically the VN never did run under a pure Group A formula - it was always modified. The R32 happened to be one of the last of the Group A cars homologated and was always therefore likely to be the best.

It was a different age anyway. The Wanneroo round had 16 entries in 1992. Mallalalalala may well have been even less than that. The Sandown 500 had to run production cars to get a half decent grid.

Basically the Nissan had to be nobbled for the survival of the sport. A completely different circumstance to now when changes to the Mustang look to be damaging the integrity of the sport.

Anyway I would happily add any of the homologated Group A cars to my collection of one, which is an R32 GTR.