View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2001, 23:50 (Ref:109752)   #4
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for it. I'm giant on road racing. I absolutely love it. And, when you put the NASCAR boys on a road course, there's a LOT of passing. A LOT! Probably more in this race than we saw all of 17 races last year in F1.

I agree that teams should be able to run hired guns. Why? Note that all the teams that DID sub in a roadracer were fielding normal drivers that didn't have a chance at the Championship. I think it's quite interesting to see an experienced roadracer take the wheel of a struggling car and drag it to midfield/top of field (sort of like Robby Gordon did for the #7, Fellows for the #87). Besides, it adds to the competition (I'd rather see someone besides the open-wheel converts lead/dominate the road courses).

Although, if they're going to have road courses, can we visit some of the better ones in the country? Yeah, Watkins Glen is an AMAZING course. But Sears Point pales in comparison to venues such as Laguna Seca and Road America.

My idea: a separate award given for points finishes in road course races. Have about 5 in a season (IMO, a Laguna Seca date is better than ANOTHER date at one of Bruton's oval-clones. There's almost no real difference between Texas & Atlanta. Or California & Michigan) and award the top overall finisher some money. After all, the teams that DO have these hired guns aren't running major in the championship because they're short on money. Look at all the missing sponsor areas! Those things covered mean money. And a nice check for the top roadie finishers would go a way in helping these teams become competitive.

After all, isn't competition what it's all about?