View Single Post
Old 3 Sep 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3298346)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran Malmberg View Post
One should not exaggerate mark hysteria with calipers, not with anything else either. If you have money then, however, the best known brands is usually a safe bet qualitatively. The big problem is lack of knowledge of what to do. A large kalipper is better than a small one, is often thought of as a recipes, which is not right. Racing brakes should be kept at the right temperature and the wrong size, both small and large, can create anomalies. If you use no power assist so it is important with low flexe in the cliper, otherwise you get bad pedal at large hydraulic ratios. Flex in the caliper can be measured with a dial indicator. For a car that runs a lot on open roads and on tracks sometimes, a larger brake system may be better if using more normal brake linings as these works from cooler operating temperatures.
Funny you should say that Goran I believe a lot of guys go over the top on brakes. I have modest sized (303mm) GM LE1 discs all round on my IROC with Wilwood Superlites and Dynalites and I have to say they have never given me any real cause for concern especially as I race on treaded tyres. I often wonder if the weight of a larger disc/caliper would be counter productive. On my older car I have the same discs but massive Wilewood GN 6 pots up front and the Bremsport/Outlaws at the rear and yes I could lock those up at any speed as I have to run on a treaded 8" wide tyre and IMHO they are overkill! BTW I am into my 3rd season on a set of pads on those so maybe I am not trying hard enough !