View Single Post
Old 22 Aug 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3845450)   #63
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think that as far as the FIA is concerned it's pretty simple. If you're not a member of the EU you can only take part in registered International events in other countries. They never wanted the National A/NEAFP route in the first place, it was foisted upon them by the EU.

Sorry, but I am not sure you are right. If you read the Bluebook, it clearly states that it is "EU plus comparable countries" (H26.2.2). It then refers back to a point where I was hoping to find what a comparable country is, but it appears not to be defined.

But I would assume that comparable countries might include Switzerland and Norway. Has anyone ever competed in either of these countries with a Nat A? Or know anyone from Switzerland or Norway who competes here or in Europe?

If this is the case, then all that is required is for the ASNs in Europe to add a post-Brexit UK to their list of comparable countries. It would be no particular business of the FIA would it? It is in teh gift of the ASNs. The doom and gloom argument goes that the pesky Europeans might chose not to. Well they might, but I suspect the prospect of losing the permit fees and whole invited grids might cause them second thoughts.

But above all this is Simon's point that it would be helpful to know now what is going to happen, which is dead right. But as said above, there is little prospect of progress while we are rerunning the referendum and the fact that no European negotiations ever come up with a solution until 5 to midnight, that is how it works