View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2021, 19:45 (Ref:4077110)   #108
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Wasn't that car also intended to race in the ETCC at some point?

Graham Rose and Tony Kenworthy entered the first round of the 1987 BTCC in a Mitsubishi Starion and Renault 5 GT respectively. Neither made the start.
Vague recollection that the Starion was a prodsaloon as I believe Rose did a bit of Uniroyal or Monroe rounds that year?

Kenworthy's car was a cup car I think.

TWR entered the Commodore test hack and a Rover for the '87 British GP supporter but Tom took the Holden to the clashing Nurburgring ETC round where he shared driving with Jeff Allam.

Never quite got to the bottom of this one. There are ine or two possible theories!
Perhaps when the entries were planned TWR did not realise the races were on the same weekend, or the German race date moved?
Or perhaps the intention was to be at both events but something came up in the Holden testing that needed rapid feedback so a late entry was made?

There were often one off or guest entries for the BGP round.