View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2020, 18:52 (Ref:3994604)   #2395
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I believe an inability to self discharge may have contributed to Mike's lengthy stay.

Ah, very good, Peter; I can see what you have done there. Unfortunately for me, it was exactly the opposite.

I was given the opportunity to take a two week break at home at the end of May/beginning of June, but it would have meant isolating totally for that time, and then going through a semi isolation back in the hospital. Also it would possibly led t a further delay in getting the operation performed.

Although my surgeon considered surgery to be urgent, the hospital authorities were, and still are, only permitting emergency theatre use and they needed convincing that my needs met their criteria. It wasn't until the surgeon had opened me up that he realised that it more than met the "emergency" criteria, and he told me after that if I hadn't had the operation that I would have probably spent the rest of my life in hospital having to be fed intravenously to maintain my body condition.

I cannot tell you how grateful that I am to all the hospital staff, whether that be the medics or those that work in the background. I owe it them that I must regain my strength and return to full fitness.