Thread: NEW RACE SERIES
View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3494952)   #8
Willbee
Rookie

Willbee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
My next question is, what is the difference between this and the BRSCCs Open SportsCar Series (OSS)? Not trying to be awkward, I'd just like to understand the point of difference that is going to mean that competitors will opt for this series rather than OSS.
There will be a few differences between ROC Challenge and OSS. One significant point to note is that RCs upper PTW limit will fall short of many of the sharp end runners in OSS. Cars like 3.0L Jades, top-end Junos, Ligiers, Chirons etc are very quick and often several seconds quicker than the average Bike-engined Radical, Spire etc. Now these very expensive and exotic sports racers are superb and OSS provides a great environment for them to run in, but I am aiming to do things a little differently.

A little background. I initially started up the Radical Owners Club because a number of us Radical owners purely used our cars for trackdaying. Often a Radical can be frustrating on a mixed trackday due to the relative pace of other cars so started putting on private trackdays. This made things safer for everyone and also allowed trackdayers to run nearer race pace and made the big step up to racing seem more comprehensible. There are some guys who are now seeing the RC series as an opportunity to make the jump, who might not be so keen to cut their teeth in other series/championships. Now, that's not to say there will be a grid full of racing virgins, far from it. I've had significant interest from others with many years of racing under their belts.

I appreciate that the class system in OSS allows for someone without a 3.0 V6 to challenge and indeed win the championship as illustrated by Josh this year, but I am focussing on creating a racing environment where newbies and seasoned racers of middling paced sports racers can compete together cohesively.

Another significant point to remember is that there are not many places to race SR cars and for some RC will be just another place to go race in. For some privateer clubman with limited budgets, RC will be the only place to race whether because of costs, driving standards, car eligibility or a combination there of.