View Single Post
Old 25 Dec 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3872360)   #211
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
As the turkey cooks , my books of 2018 -

Howden Ganley- The Road to Monaco - beautifully written ,and not by a ghost. A lovely book by a lovely man who has done it all - from Le Mans to nearly winning the '73 Canadian GP and from being the 'ga' in Tiga to the ambassador for the Formula Junior Diamond Jubilee

Adrian Newey - How to Build a Car . As a non techy reader I enjoyed this book enormously , and I found an endearingly human side to the man whom I had always thought was the geeks' geek

John Barnard - The Perfect Car .Gosh , what can I say ? A fascinating book about a man with chips on both shoulders , who comes over as profoundly unlikable . But the stuff about Ferrari is astonishing - plots, backstabbing and intrigue galore . But anybody who designed the sublime Ferrari 640 is alright by me , and the book is un-put-downable .

Pironi- The Champion Who Never Was- David Sedgwick . There is no disguising the author's love of his subject but ,on the evidence of what I have read so far , the book is just dreadfully written . As was Johnny Herbert's What Doesn't Kill You - a great story in serious need of a good subeditor .

Damon Hill's Watching The Wheels is the most insightful , fascinating and best written racing driver autobiography I have read . The only one which comes close is the late Peter Revson's Speed with Style .