View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3951708)   #30
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
How is that a definition of a good racing car? The closer it is in DNA to your everyday car the better it is? That's not what I, or anyone I know, wants out of a racing car.
Unless I have forgotten something "The closer it is in DNA to your everyday car the better it is", is EXACTLY what the point of touring car racing is!

As Tiff Needel says, "The Ford Sierra touring car is not a pukka racer. The bodyshell is full of holes. A touring car is a compromise. It's a road car made into a racer. It doesn't have the rigidity of a pukka racer, it rolls in the corners. What results is a lot of arm twirling and a lot of fun.”
Link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=iJl0-daCCHs

If you wanted to build a race car from scratch you don't give it four doors and a roof and even a boot (!)...

You'd start by putting the engine on the floor in the middle as a structural component of the vehicle, a lightweight carbon monocoque to hold the driver who is also sitting on the floor, inboard suspension etc... Hey presto you have your formula car or LMP car.

Touring cars are not proper race cars, so why shouldn't they reflect the car you drive? Whether it's 1989 and the car you drive to work is a Nissan Skyline GTS coupe or Ford Sapphire Cosworth, or it's 2020 and the car you drive to work is a Golf GTI or Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce.

That's doesn't mean Supercars should adopt TCR. There is an open opportunity for Supercars to race cars *based* on the Alfa Giulia Quadrifolgio, BMW M3, Mercedes C63 AMG, Jaguar XE R and so on...

That's the modern market for four door rear drive performance cars, so that's the segment Supercars needs to target if they want to race those kinds of touring cars.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 15 Jan 2020 at 10:47.