Thread: 2023 Season
View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2022, 10:19 (Ref:4127079)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It needs to be borne in mind that the Suzuka circuit is owned by Honda so that may have a bearing on the naming of the race.

I can't remember whether Toyota's name was included in the race title a few years ago when the race was held at Fuji, as they happen (or used) to own that.

A couple of things I should have mentioned in my other post. One is that, of course, Red Bull host the GP at their own circuit, so that's a good enough reason to be the host.

Secondly, Suzuka may have the lowest prices (I don't know as I have never paid to be there for the GPs) but it needs to be remembered that the circuit doesn't need to rely on big ticket events to bolster it's balance sheet. The circuit is actually only a part of the complex that consists of a motoring theme park, with restaurants, hotels and many other features, all of which attract visitors year round. Also, the Japanese spectators are, on the whole, far more passionate about all forms of auto events, not just F1, than nearly any other nationality.

On my last visit there, when we left some hours after the end of the GP, there were still thousands of spectators sat around the circuit watching re-runs with replays of incidents/action of the race on the huge screens dotted around the track. And there were plenty of people enjoying the theme park as well. We didn't stop any longer as we still had an 8 hour drive back to Tokyo to get on with.