View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1639906)   #56
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone.

Nice to see my photos at racingsportscars linking up to this thread.

Going back a long way on this thread, Stucks' early pace at the 1984 Spa 24 hour was mentioned, but Jean-Pierre Jarier was even more spectacular and hurled his bimmer up to first place inside the first ninety minutes! The next morning there was a crazy dice between Weaver and Winkelhock which had me very confused. The gap between them kept fluctuating and only when I read the report and also asked James about it several years later did I understand why.

They had spent approximately an hour dicing and seemed to be flying off the circuit at every opportunity, but the dice provided enough evidence to Stuck and Questor that James could drive and deserved to be in the team. Winkelhock was a little bt peeved that the number 3 driver of the Scnitzer could easily keep up with him, not quite what he had expected.

The Ted Grace, Muir, Gartland partnership had started in 1970 IIRC with the Wiggins Teape Camaro and lasted until the untimely death of Yogi in 1982. And yes, that did include the Alpina CSL of 1973, has anyone got a good photo of that car at the British GP I wonder?

Does anyone remember the Bastos 635 in the advertising hoardings at Zolder in 1984 and Stefan Belloff rolling another one in practice (Zolder 1983 I think) because the quallies gripped too well!

Happy days.

Glyn