View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1640191)   #64
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good morning everyone,I have just awoken feeling rather dismal after last night's college reunion to find while I was having fun,you guys had been busy again. So here are my latest gems and apologies for the standard of my typing which understandably is slower than usual.At the time that the 635 was in its pomp I hatched an idea to write a book and contacted the then main Group A reporter for Autosport Joe Saward.We hit it off really well and he became a kind of personal roving reporter for me and I would get wonderful letters from exotic places such as Anchorage in Alaska where he was on a stopover to Fuji for the big touring car race there. At other times he would write and just to increase my jealousy say that he was just off to interview Schnitzer's Charly Lamm or Hans Stuck and so on.We decided to jointly write a book and had got a degree of support from BMW and Charly at Schnitzer. As a result Joe kindly provided me with all the latest gossip as well as programmes and magazines from all over the world.Sadly the book never materialised because the lure of Formula One was to great and for several seasons he followed that circus around the world. I did however gain a wonderful insight into what was really a glorified 'club'series of events with much greater camaraderie,humour and fun than probably takes place today and that is why we are still today looking back with such fondness at this era is it not? At the time I did try to create a full chassis list which I will look at again in the light of all your above threads. It is like trying to knit fog at times however due to printing errors,reporters mistakes and also the desire for some teams not to reveal information.On one occasion a driver at Silverstone flatly denied to accept the chassis history I put to him even though I knew I was correct.As I wandered off another team owner stopped me and said the previous driver was worried that I was something to do with the taxmen which is why he clammed up!!