View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3923215)   #4484
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Looking at that auction where two TR5s are going under the hammer reminded me of some of the journeys I did in the early 70s in one. 3 figure averages on public roads not something could even contemplate now......
We seem to be getting closer to 3 figure average journey times Mike.

Three figures in Hours that is.

All the roads around the area of Donington Park seem to have been decorated with double red lines and new posts and the signs attached to them indicating that they are now a Red Route and no stopping is permitted (except for buses) at any time.

Presumably this is to stop people parking up and flying drones or maybe camping with their rocket launchers and threatening East Midlands airport.

Meanwhile the Donington by-pass route construction continues apace. Just not a very fast pace.

If the traffic light controls for the roundabout under construction between the race track and the village took any longer there is a good chance that one might be prosecuted for stopping on a Red Route.

At the rate they are going I think it will still be a work in progress at Christmas. Probably without much effective progress if the development of the roundabout at the other end of the Bypass is used as a basis of measurement.

That saw a 14 week project that started in the middle of January.

It continues having been half opened, sort of, for a couple of weeks when all development stopped anyway.

At that point they discovered the middle of the roundabout turns into a pond when it rains and the tarmac around it look more like a canal than a road.

Quite why the so called design of the development seems to have taken no account of the fact that the road is on a flood plain and was prone to some notable flooding several times a year most years is a puzzle. As it is the road looks even lower than the area used to be and the road side ditches are now gone.

Add in that the new section of road that makes up the bypass is a long downhill run of tarmac across an area that used to be either fields or woodlands with a few soak away ponds and I would imagine the frequency of flooding is likely to increase - despite the fancy "drainage" kerbing.

It'll probably still be a Red Route though, when complete.