View Single Post
Old 25 Aug 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3761499)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's no longer an achievement. My terrible 56 plate Fiesta has hit that, and that had a VERY rough life before I owned it, as it got the arse ragged out of it. If my badly made, poorly treated, budget hatchback can do it, then it's not a big deal. It's more of a big deal to hit 200,000 miles now. But even then, Skoda and VW diesels will hit that without breaking sweat. And you could push them for longer if you were willing to put in the money to do it, it just becomes uneconomical.
Provided you have paid silly money replacing every piece of plastic under the bonnet as it degrades from the heat it is subject to.
The electric cooling fans will have died twice, you will have to have replaced the cam belt twice at least at huge expense, two alternators will have died (stops really quickly once the charge light comes on!), the whole computer will have gone mad four or five times, the CV joints will have given up probably twice, the electric LSD is strange at best, and you better have replaced the non serviceable gearbox oil at least twice or the transmission has probably smoked itself. Oh and the PCV valve will have been replaced four times. The stupid aerial on the roof corrodes and needs replacing regularly. Door lock mechanisms pack up regularly too well replaced 3 of them. Internal trim falls off. Rear engine mount then the flexible exhaust exhaust joint as a result of that.

Currently 265 000 Km and climbing.

Air con will not work over 30 degrees centigrade, when do they think I need it?

Perfectly reliable really!

Sorry end of rant, just my experience running a Gti off the top of my head.

Nice to drive though.

Hope it hasn't got Takata airbags!