View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2367091)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Jesper. I hadn't see this excellent new thead when I replied in the 'Oz where are they now' thread!

So i've just copied it across as it's more appropriate in here!

One off Group A possibilities:

Former Alfa and prodsaloon racer Andrew Thrope ran a Mk1 Vauxhall Astra GT/E (in Europe I think it was called the Mk 2 Kadett GSI?) in some British Group A races in 1984, but I have a suspicion that it was in standard trim. At 1800cc that put it in Class B (1601-2500cc) so it was up against the GTV6, Metro Turbo and Bluebird Turbo..... hence it wasn't around for long.

There was the Hans Van Der Beek Mazda 929 from Holland that did some ETC races. It was definitely at the Silverstone TT in 1986. Helluva racket that thing made. Don't know how many more of them there were in Group A?

A Mercedes 450 SLC coupe was entered for Spa in '83 as a one off? Think Hans Heyer was involved and it was most definitely a private effort!

I think there was also a 4 door AMG entered 6 litre Merc Sedan (not sure of the model type!) for Spa in either '88 or 89 as well? (may have been 2 car team?) Massively powerful and quick in straight line. Qualified pretty well IIRC, but overall wasn't really competitive against the M3's and RS500's! I expect those cars saw further action in the Nurby enduro's etc!!

I'm sure there's a few more that people ran in various national championships as well.....

Last edited by chunterer; 7 Jan 2009 at 15:34.