View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3014101)   #2
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Formula ford V 67 Formula 1 V Superkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCharman View Post
After playing GP legends, my son asked me whether a superkart is faster than a 1967 F1 car, so I thought I'd look at lap records for some circuits, but it's hard to find circuits that are unchanged for that long. In the UK there's Thruxton - but that is a very open and flat-out circuit - would certainly favour the F1 car, Cadwell park - can't see any results for a Formula 1 race in the late 60's. Nearest I can find is Oulton park 1967 Gold cup fastest lap was 1:30.6, 2011 Outlon park with chicanes - superkart fastest lap was around 1:38. So three questions for you experts out there:
1)Were the Oulton Park chicanes worth 8 seconds a lap?
2)Can anyone think of other circuits which have had F1 cars in 1967/68 and superkarts in 2010/11?

3)Which was quicker?
A modern Formula ford is quicker that a 67 F1 but i know which i would rather drive . Superkarts are amazingly fast but you have to be mental to race one full respect for them though .
Re oulton have a look at Gold Cup times from the last couple of years and see what times late 70s F1s are doing and that should give you some idea. Dont forget they changed the chicane profile again a couple of years ago .
I think there was a Surtees at the gold cup and the karts were there last year as well.
The chicanes add more than 8 seconds but have saved many lives. as someone who has driven both nothing more challenging than an open knickbrook but .