View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3893798)   #51
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
You seriously think the series and tracks could not cope with 120 odd entries? Ban the rigs, it's simple. No need for them at club level and even MSA is club level always was.
The only place with paddock space for 120+ cars is Pembrey and that would mean using the grass paddock.
As for banning the rigs ... how do you think that would go down with some people, and try telling those people with their several hundred k cars that they are only clubmen

Quote:
They always used to manage back in the day when Stock hatch was strong which is essentially why it went balls up anyway. As some bright spark though there was enough to cover for two series.
Even then at Croft and Knockhill competitors were forced to park in areas used for spectator parking. It was not ideal and far from safe. Imagine what the insurers, risk assessors, and the HSE would say about that.

Quote:
You could perhaps structure it so that events with bigger paddocks and entries ran as BTRDA and RAC, and then run the odd BTRDA solus, You can't run Supercars at Blyton anyway, so that would fit. This is what used to happen.
Up until a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you on that, especially at tracks like Pembrey and Knockhill, and actually regularly suggested that to the powers that be. But now with the MSA championship running the WRX style qualifying-semis-final format and the BTRDA running traditional it would only cause confusion, on top of the time constraints.

Quote:
No reason why we couldn't go to Ireland again, or maybe try and sort something out with Holland or Belgium as those tracks have typically been shafted by IMG hosting fees. More costs, but maybe some deal could be done as before.
Totally agree with you on this one, especially regarding Ireland.

Quote:
You say driver would lose out, so cap the entry at a limit each track can cope with/ it's not hard, the more cars, the more fans, the more money the MSA makes, the more people spend at the track. Wouldn't you rather turn away entries than have to make them up on the day? Would make drivers plan better, get the money in early, rallies are usually booked out hours after they open for entries, not hard.
And what would happen if it were the high end drivers who missed out due to a cap.
And no, I wouldn't want to see any driver turned away. What if it was the same drivers who got turned down at consecutive events? They wouldn't stick around, and would be lost to the sport.

Quote:
If you are telling me Lydden or Croft could not cope with 100+ entries I would say nonsense.
Yes they could, but only just. One thing is certain the paddock would need to be better organised. And if there were problems during the day and curfew was getting close races would be lost.

Quote:
I did ask several drivers at Silverstone and they had no idea why the two series are not combined, all had raced in each series, and were dumbfouded initially at the double dates and the reasons given.
I would be interested who you spoke to, because all the drivers I know, (or at least those who care) know exactly why there was a clash of dates

Quote:
yes there would be a drop off, but what's better? Two split series with relatively poor grids, disparate but somewhat similar categories and racing at different tracks, or a series that is stable, stronger for being combined, less pointless nonsense and more dates.
There you have a contradiction.
If there was only one championship there would actually be less dates. I well remember the time when there were half a dozen or more championships and 20 plus meetings a year. More meetings equals more drivers and stronger championships. There were 12 new drivers at Blyton last weekend and also some new ones at Silverstone.
If both championships are allowed to grow we may soon see over 200 regular racers again, and maybe even a return of the Lydden and Croft winter series.
Cutting back to one championship and losing drivers would be counter productive at this point.

Quote:
What on earth is the point in having rallycross that can't run together, why have different classes? Why, because they can, not because its the right thing to do it's idiotic to the layman I'm sorry.
Again ... I agree with you, but if the MSA don't want Production then what can you do. Not everyone can afford a Mini or a Swift

Quote:
I don't know your position with either, but most people I talk to think along similar lines.
I am purely and simply a rallycross lover who races when and where he can afford it and with whoever is organising it.
I would suggest you come along to a BTRDA meeting and speak with the true grass roots racers. They are quite happy with the organisers, with the amount of track time they get, and the camaraderie in the paddock.

I still don't think you have said what would actually be gained by losing one of the championships.

As I have said before, if meetings were unviable and getting canceled then I would agree that there is only need for one championship, but they are not.
And as both organisations are giving their respective competitors what they want, and it is the racers who actually pay to race don't forget.
At the moment as both seem to be not only holding their own, but actually increasing let's just leave things alone and see what happens.

After all more choice of meetings with good racing at each is surely a good thing for the spectators too.