View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3893987)   #55
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I don't know if many of you know about the past but BTRDA was always run alongside the main British series, you had BRDA and BTRDA. Most drivers held licences for both I believe to allow them to run their local Lydden or Croft series aswell as national events. So you might get Gollop turning up at a random Croft meeting to test or Cadwell, and the rest be pretty much amateurs in Formula B and C, Minis and SPC. Or latterly Nova;s and Colways tyres series.
Back in those days it was the clubs (Thames Estuary, Swindon Pheonix, Darlington, etc etc,) that put on the meetings and invited the championships to use those meetings as points scoring rounds for whichever championship. And they also had their own (Croft Challenge, Lydden Winter Series.... etc)That is why some meetings could part of five or six different ones.
If you were a member of any of the organising clubs then you could enter any of the other clubs events without having to pay to join that club as well. Then you registered for whichever championships you wanted to be part of.

Quote:
I don't really understand why this could not be done.
The British Championship for many years has had the ambition to get itself known as a major championship, and it's ultimate aim is to have full entries comprised of only the top formulas. It is up to them where they want to pitch themselves, but while they still hold that ambition the status quo will remain.

Quote:
says it's because they are both in good health, I would disagree with that, the MSA series is certainly suffering, if it were not for one make series it would have died I think. They are great but not that fabulous to watch or spectacular, though they benefit the sport and the events in other ways. They can co-exist, it simply takes will, and that seems lacking.
I never said that they are both in good health .....
I said they were both able to puit on viable meetings.
The driver base is increasing, and the number of meetings are increasing, but we are still a long way from being in good health with both championships.
But if things keep going the way they are maybe in a year or two good health will approach. You may even see a British Championship meeting with regularly well into double figures of supercars, and super 1600's, and retros and juniors, and maybe only one other support formula.

We can live in hope.