View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2022, 16:05 (Ref:4120579)   #52
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Based on the discussion about the strength of the field in the Knockhill thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Based on performances in qualifying, race craft, overall pace, race results etc...we broke down the regular grid (excluding changes for Butel, Parfitt etc) and split the grid into three groups;
It got me wondering whether the perceived issues with the current BTCC product come down to the quality of the grid being so strong today?

Hopefully the following will explain:

I decided to look at snapshots in time going back to 1992, and every ten years since. The main difference I can see developing over time is that the level of performance to get up into a top ten finish has become increasingly difficult to achieve.

Let's work on the assumption that the best driver in any given race will put in a performance that is graded as being near perfect (95%+). Moving down the grid, the drop off in level compared to that 95% is broad.
So for instance - in 1992, the likes of Soper or Leslie only need to put in a fairly decent performance and they can get into the top five or even take a podium, because the depth of quality is small.
In 2002, Hughes and Leslie were able to get strong results and the required level of performance could be assessed as relatively low (compared to perfection).
By the time you get to 2012, if you have a poor starting place on the grid, someone like Tom O-C is having to get past the likes of Newsham, Wrathall, Foster or Smith to get up near the podium. With all respect to those drivers, the potential for the best drivers to make up places is still high.

Now - in 2022, the field is extremely close. The opinion expressed seem to suggest that 10-14 drivers are all of the quality to be a regular podium visitor. This means that if a driver such as Cammish or Shedden finds themselves towards the back of the field, the level of performance they need to get to the front is exceptional.

In 1992 - a driver in a top car performing to just 80% of the car's potential could expect to be challenging for a top five, or even podium.
In 2022 - the same level of performance will see you struggling at the bottom end of the points.

The margins are so small today, that the potential for regular changes of position is slim. And drivers have to be so certain of a move before attempting, because they are unlikely to get many more chances if they fail to make the pass stick.