View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2842586)   #29
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Um, may I respectfully play Devil's Advocate?

There's often a second side. There are only 8 bank holidays in the UK, three are in the winter and two are on the same weekend. So you're the HSCC and along comes this newcomer trumpeting club values and is suddenly stamping on one of the Bank Holidays when you plan to have a Festival. Like I said, only playing DA, no criticism intended but there's bound to be congestion.

Pre-race entry lists - I've been swayed by the argument. Why do I normally print them out in advance? Cos it's cheaper than a programme. Do I need to know as a competitor who I am racing against? Dunno, not sure I do. If I'm doing a Championship I will know already who is registered. If not, who cares!

Too many race series? TBQH if the MSA were as ruthless as we all profess to want them to be, then the 360 would have been refused a permit. The Market will sort it out, there will be some high profile casualties and sooner rather than later. Hopefully the 360 won't be one of them but no one has a right to stay in business so they need our support as much as possible.

Does motor racing need to change? You betcha, from top to bottom, an argument I have rehearsed on many threads elsewhere!

Vested interest? Yup, we've all got them whether it be to make money, establish a race meeting or keeping our favourite series going.

Like I said, just putting another POV. BTW Nick hit the nail on the head from the competitor's side.
Just a small rebuttal for the sake of accuracy.
1. We (as 360) don't have any issues with the HSCC or their meeting that clashes with ours. It was organised by a commercial operator and the circuit owner and the HSCC were simply contracted as the permit holding club (AFAIK)
2. I agree that there are too many championships/series but, being very personal, I don't think that would justify refusing a smaller club like 360MRC a permit. We're not a series/championship but a one off race and as Claire once pointed out, we're not taking away anything from the historic motorsport scene ....... no other organisation was interested in doing it.
3. Other than that, I agree with you (and the governing body should take a lead and 'govern') and I know your 'devils advocacy' was well intentioned (I already know you too well ) and not personally directed at 360.