Thread: educational?
View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3883491)   #40
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerb View Post
I'm going to reignite the runoff topic I mentioned earlier because I have been reading up about the blue and red stripes at Circuit Paul Ricard. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but from what I can tell its a mixture of asphalt and tungsten to maximise grip at the expense of tyre wear. but I don't see how it would stop a car with no brakes. if someone knows more about it, please tell me more about it.
The stripes are like grades of sandpaper whereas the track is smooth like writing paper.

If you simply run wide it won't stop the cars as can be driven over.

In a brake failure situation, the rougher surface creates more friction slowing cars down

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 12 Feb 2019 at 23:05.