View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3429935)   #1273
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My opinions are rarely popular ... I think almost every aspect of the P1-H class is innovative and creative—probably the highest expression of automotive racing technology on the planet.

This is however a competitive environment, and for the sake of competition finding a little something your opponent doesn't have can be a boon. It is far from the only place where innovation and creativity can show up, but it is one place where it always has in auto racing.

I am not sure why Porsche got pipped and Toyota didn't, but that would be the only question I would ask. Otherwise, all three teams had bits that weren't compliant or stretched the rules (like turning vanes extending below the reference plane.)

Every team has engineers looking for ways to maneuver within the rules to gain an edge, and always will. The issue comes down to fair enforcement.

For instance we have all heard of blown diffusers. Braun basically won Jjenson Button and the team the F1 titles that year because they were the first to think it up. Apparently though, some other team approached Charlie Whiting about a blown diffuser before the season started and was told it would be illegal.

Humans being human—sometimes enlightening, sometimes encouraging, sometimes exasperating, sometimes disheartening, sometimes downright ugly.