View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3331318)   #601
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Not sure about the first bit - must admit I thought it was basically the same block but tuned slightly differently for emissions and fuel.
I could be mistaken, so don't quote me on that! The reason I say that is due an article I read on the Litchfield Type 25 a (long!) while ago, where they mentioned about sourcing US 2.5L engines to use as a base as they were a stronger engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
As for the 2.5 STI horror stories, there were certainly some - 'chocolate pistons' was a phrase I heard more than once - but there weren't that many warranty claims with Subaru UK. I do think the waters were muddied by failures to modified engines running on low RON fuel.
...I know the 2.5L STI engines after '07 (i.e. GR shape onwards) didn't get forged internals, hence the "chocolate pistons" monicker. I also understand that the map on the those Type UK cars was flawed.

A good friend of mine bought an '08 STI (new) and suffered ringland failure, he was told the cause was the map.

Still, I understand the probem has been rectified on latter cars and, following a rebuild (and remap!), his car was fine. It has rather tainted the hatchback-era in my eyes though. Wouldn't say no to a JDM STI hatch though...