View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2365564)   #34
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clarify the Granada upright situation. About five years ago I was asked whether the Granada upright was legal, replied of course not and was then told all the TVR's were running them. By chance I was on a local trading estate in Martock Somerset doing something else and stumbled upon an organisation called the Granada centre. I went in and asked if they had any Granada front uprights. I was asked whether I wanted the early or the late type, and now flummoxed replied that I wanted them for my TVR Griffiths.
Ah, goes the man you want early types, sorry we have none of those and any we get we have a standing order from a man called Chris Schirle !!
I then went to the Oldtimer GP and we looked at all the TVR to find only one with the correct front suspension -but he had roller rockers. I then had a huge row with the German scrutes who wanted the roller rockers excluded before the event whilst I wanted them excluded afterwards so I could show the stewards right and wrong on the uprights.
Sadly despite this the FIA stewards did nothing on the day and took a year to deal with the issues which arose whilst a Griffiths which I knew to be wrong won the FIA championship.
The joys of it all you will never know.........

As an aside I hear all this safety stuff about Griffiths, it is probablty true, but if the car is not safe don't race it , it is not obligatory. In thirty years in Historic eligiblity I have yet to meet a competitors safety modificatiuon which makes a car slower.