View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2365486)   #75
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901
I believe that Allan Grice's Les Small built 87 car was sold by Roadways Racing to TWR and shipped to the UK for use in developing the fuel injected car.

TWR ran a VL at the Nurburgring in 87 for Walkinshaw & Allam.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5812/twrvl87nn7.jpg

TWR built at least 2 VLs in the UK to the fuel injected spec, possibly existing cars updated. One was air freighted out for the Bathurst 88 for Walkinshaw and Allam to drive. The car had major suspension failure after 5 laps, TWR having ignored local advice and run light weight components.
Spent some time over Christmas wading back through old Autosports looking at Group A stuff- in the issue preceding the 'Ring WTCC race there's a story about the TWR entry- I don't have the mag in front of me right now, but as I recall the story was that TWR had posted entries for the BTCC race supporting the British GP the same weekend (Rover for Jeff Allam and possibly Commodore for TW) but that it was rumoured that a Commodore turning up at the 'Ring was more likely. What's really interesting is the pic that illustrates the piece- a plain white unliveried VK with a TWR sunstrip on the screen, as mentioned several times earlier in the thread....