View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2020, 06:54 (Ref:3990107)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Opinion: An electric performance future needs sounds of the past

The thought is put forward that EVs still need to retain some form of engine note?

'A number of EVs have had a stab at artificially generated sound, but pretty much all emit a humming, sci-fi whoosh deemed suitably space-age for the new electric generation. The Taycan’s isn’t too offensive, but I’m finding myself increasingly convinced that more brands need to have a crack at offering realistic combustion engine notes in their EVs.'

Thoughts? Personally, I feel it would be wrong for an EV to try and sound like a combustion engine. Why try to be something it is not? I think it should be accepted that an EV is different - and that can also go through to the looks as well as sound. Why does the typical family/small car have to have power unit in front of the cabin, with the storage at the back and the fuel source somewhere around the rear seats? It is a practical design choice for an ICE car, but is it the best choice for EVs?
Regarding your final paragraph I agree entirely. For safety reasons it would be good for them to emit some kind of sound, especially at lower speeds used in built up areas as even as I sighted pedestrian I do (maybe foolishly) rely on my hearing when stepping out to cross the road. I certainly don't think that they should imitate an ICE engine however, they shouldn't be pretending to be something that they are not, they should be proudly showing that they are not ICE powered. (I think this is similar with what is happening in the food industry. As someone who is most certainly NOT a vegetarian I personally feel that it is hypocritical that some vegetarian food is produced to look as closely as possible like real meat products!)