View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3890947)   #1085
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
When I heard the referendum result my second thought was 'That is going to keep an army of lawyers going for years ' . Before retiring my day job was the law and I used to get involved in a lot of big projects involving regulations stemming from EU directives - and I simply could not imagine how much work just the legals would involve .

And they are peripheral to the main task , which was always going to be a bloody nightmare . And it was , and then it turned into a pantomime as the deal agreed by Europe and May was given a kicking by anybody and everybody with an agenda to pursue and /or an ego to feed . I have worked with a fair few politicians and (going against the usual kneejerk reaction ) have the majority to be hard working and essentially decent people .

But the goodwill I had has been sorely tried by the utterly shambolic antics we have seen recently and I do wonder how many MPs realise just how absurdly out of touch they seem ? From the crazy Parliamentary language and processes to the baying mob we see on TV the whole shambles is an embarrassment and shames our country.

I heard a guy on Radio 4's Any Answers come up with the best process we should have used -

- after referendum , form crossparty group whose sole job was to negotiate the deal ( composition and authority issues would have been tricky but a cross party approach was the right one)

- finalise terms and then hold second referendum - do you want this deal or to remain ?

- government agrees to hold general election 3 months after referendum and new government bound to implement the choice