Thread: Sebring 2019
View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3891861)   #55
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Some thoughts on a great weekend at Sebring, my first time there.

In short: awesome track, somewhat basic facility, pretty merciless for first timers.

Firstly the track itself: fantastic. It's completely flat terrain and viewing is right at track level, indeed in a few places the track is slightly higher than the viewing so you see cars coming head on. There is very little catch fencing and in some places you are very close, really seeing the cars jump and skitter over the concrete bumps.

A lot of the time there is lots of spectator clutter in the background but along some parts there are trees on the other side of the track. I didn't find a way to see the start/finish line or the pits (short of paying $245 for a Gurney terrace seat) and the epic Turn 17 is very hard to access, but for the most part the track was visible and wonderful.

Secondly the facility: pretty basic. Along quite a lot of it the camping/RV area is set back a little from the actual trackside fence, making it easier to walk around and to see. Where there was no such gap people taped off or commandeered areas, which was irritating. The spectator viewing mounds are mostly pretty small and the 'grandstands' are rows of bleachers, some only a few rows but others larger. There was zero shade or shelter from the rain. There were too few toilets and showers. There was very little signage or directions and few staff to ask. The sand got muddy quickly.

Thirdly the newbie experience: pretty merciless. The event is setup for people who have been going for years and are largely self-sufficient in RVs or campers (even bringing their own toilets in some cases). Arriving at 9pm on Thursday night there was only one gate open for passouts, ticket-holders and will-call, hence a 30 min wait. Will Call was one bloke going through an alphabetised folder for ticket envelopes with hand-written names on.

Other than one sign at the gate there was no signs at all to North Paddock, nor any indication that I'd arrived there, nor any clue or help about how or where to park. The only staff member I encountered was the supervisor who told me to move my car or get towed because it was in a 'designated spot'. I had no idea what that meant or how I was supposed to tell or where to go instead. He was a little impatient until I explained that it was my first time there, I had arrived at night in a hire car after a 10-hour flight and a 2-hour drive and that I had no way of knowing any of the stuff he assumed everyone knew.

Sebring run an awesome event and knowing what I know now it will be easier next time. They have no reason to change anything, nor would I want them to. There are, however, some things that could be done to make things a little easier for people arriving for the first time, in a hire car and carrying only what they could fit in aircraft luggage. Mail tickets to overseas addresses (like Infy, Daytona and Laguna Seca do). Open more than one gate rather than be surprised when lots of people arrive. Put up some signs. I'd love to say install some more toilets as well, but that might be a little much!

As always with such visits, the cars and the fans make it awesome. In this case the track is also wonderful. Sebring also can't control the weather (32C in the shade on Friday, pouring rain on Saturday!). But I will admit that this was a tough trip as a first-timer. I'll know more next time (like booking a motel for Saturday night to get a shower and a full night of sleep!).

5,000 photos to sort through now!