View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2014, 03:48 (Ref:3356082)   #59
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The competitive tension in the news gathering process is now gone. Each of AA and AdCafe seem to regurgitate press releases these days, and indeed on more than one occasion, convert the rumour that pops up here into something more...

The passion & urgency to be 'in the know' is lost
That passion and urgency is gone because there's no way AA can compete.

Even if they break a story - Speedcafe can get their copy at 6am and have it on their site at 6.15 long before most people have even got their copy.

Until AA compete on the same platform, there isn't any competition.

As a result - AA simply replace 'first' with 'loudest', going more and more tabloid.

It's very hard to fill a weekly 'newspaper' with predominantly V8s so it relied mostly on adapting quotes into headlines.

'Frosty - why I can beat Whincup'
'Whincup - why Frosty will never beat me'
'Van Giz - I'm the love child of the orphan that was rejected for Betty - that's why I left Erebus'.

Motorsport News had one half of a good model. It had a decent quality monthly for features - it just needed a digital presence to keep up customer engagement. It could have worked given the legacy goodwill for the masthead.

Unfortunately that didn't happen and it's now gone.