View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3691305)   #191
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The Canadian GP is now definite for 2017, I wonder what the situation is in the longer term?
I was glad to hear this news about 2017. However the future of the race after 2017 is still in doubt. As I described in several previous posts, there is a long term contract in place. It requires the city to make some significant improvements to the track infrastructure, but the city has not fulfilled its obligation.

The city agreed to do the track renovations without knowing how it would pay for them (the current cost estimate is about CDN $45-50M while the original estimate was about CDN $32M).

The mayor is mad at the promoter (Francois Dumontier) because he thinks the promoter misled him about the cost. He wants to get rid of Dumontier and replace him with a large Montreal event promotion company that he favors.

So one more year is definite but after that no one really knows. In sum, a typical F1 story in the Age of Bernie.