View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2019, 03:59 (Ref:3920915)   #6589
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I want to reiterate that I don't understand why everyone dogpiled on Dragonspeed for giving up and veto'ing the new tires, which never happened, but when it turns out SMP were the ones who gave up and the ones that veto'd the tires they're the good guys.

Without a world championship we would probably be talking about Audi's 18th win in 20 years right now. It's sports car racing, there will always be down years. Why crap on the good ones at the same time? I don't even think the hybrid advantage in 2019 rules was near as bad as the diesel bias. There was years Audi or Peugeot had like 200hp and a stint advantage over petrol cars with otherwise identical regulations. Just take a look at the last Le Mans under the old LMP1 rules again. Rebellion was 6.5s off the Audis and worse yet 27kph slower in the speed trap while only 5kph faster than a stock block LMP2. And that's a good year, in 2011 before WEC started they were 11s off in the race. These days that wouldn't even put you in the top 5 in LMP2. Even with the 1 lap stint disadvantage 2019 was by far the most reasonable chance a privateer had to win since 2005.