View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1809099)   #7
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevron B17

Bruce's B17 was new from Fast Freddy. I won't tell you Fred's other nickname over here. Mind you, we were friends. It came with a small valve Hart TC and a FT200. White gelcoat. I have no idea of the serial # and it was probably removed anyway as the Chevron replaced Bruce's BT21 (MK5 box) which was defintely smuggled which replaced his BT16 which replaced his Elva Mk7, all smuggled. Border, what border?
When it was sold I think our own wing design in Fibreglass went with it , red in colour, as well as the stock wing. I do not remember if the sports car style nose went or had been totally destroyed at Mosport. It took us all year (2nd year with B17) to figure out why the car went like stink on short tracks but BJ usually crashed on fast tracks. The downforce was so high at the front the nose was being driven into the ground and taking weight off the front wheels at high speed. It needed far stiffer springs but who knew in those days. Wesure didn't. After he crashed in turn 1 at Mosport it was an all nighter to get the car ready with the stock nose. It had needed repairs and I had the expoxy smoking. Pencils make great reinforcing ribs!
We do learn, however. A similar problem at Nelson Ledges several years later took me about 10 seconds to figure out.