View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2021, 19:06 (Ref:4027999)   #8674
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
This is from Sportscar 365 regardining the mid engine 911 RSR:

“We finally opted for a normally aspirated engine exactly one year ago,” Walliser said. “The final go was a meeting between Dr. Blume [Porsche CEO] and myself in Bahrain.

“For the 911 concept, considering our actual engine lineup, a normally aspirated engine gives us more freedom in the car concept, e.g. weight distribution.”

However, Walliser doesn’t see it as a disadvantage, thanks to variable boost levels for turbocharged engines implemented by the FIA, ACO and IMSA that now provides a near-identical power curve for both normally aspirated and turbocharged engines.

“The rules are written in a way that gives turbos and normally aspirated engines the same power and torque behavior,” he said.

Will LMP BOP be able address this issue the way GTE seem too? Beleive it or not, the street version 997 GT3 is faster from 60 to 120 than the 911 Turbo. Might be mainly by weight differences.
you didn't understand the meaning of my previous post... anyway before the introduction of the new 4.2L of 2019-2020 911 rsr, 911 rsr (the original 2013 RR and the 2017 MR model) was simply using the same engine used on 997 gt3 rsr because porsche didn't need a new engine at all (turbo or NA). I'm not certain but likely the new 4.2L is based on that as well.
Acceleration is more influenced by mass than force (torque) but since lmp1, lmp2, gte are all in a similiar range of mass, it's clear that more torque gives a better acceleration. Aside that, acceleration is influenced by also a lot of other factors... cx of the car, gear ratios, width of tyres etc...