View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2020, 14:12 (Ref:3991871)   #82
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Despite my best intentions, I still couldn't stop myself being drawn back into this!
I think you've answered your own question here. The competitors are not a problem who are going to kept in their own bubble in the paddock and can be trusted to behave themselves. It is the huge number of spectators that the series attracts who cannot be kept (or some of them trusted to keep) their distance from each other who are then going to be driving home to wherever they have come from, with the possibility of having taken the virus with them to Donington, or with the reverse possibility of taking it back home with them, all done without any tracing where they are from. All team members have had to complete and submit a form to TOCA with their full name, home address, contact email and mobile telephone numbers, and I would expect that any officials & marshals attending will have done something similar. I suspect that this is for a possible track & trace mechanism should any problems be found after the event. This could not be done with all of the random spectators attending as there would be no telling where they were and who they had been standing close to.
Which is exactly what I have been saying, but apparently we are wrong. I am being told it has nothing to do with spectator numbers or where they have come from. Yet the govt website regarding Elite Sport spectators distinctly points towards numbers, the distances and various means of transport used to get to events, the stops they make during their journeys in either direction, if they intend an overnight stay, their sleeping arrangements, eating arrangements whether they could be mixing with locals down the pub etc.

Yet the same people who tell us we are wrong, can only spout the same drivel of because it is an Elite Sport and can't give an answer as to why it separates itself from another championship of the exact same sport.

Having been to British GT, ELMS, BTCC and WRX as well as club and truck racing meetings over the last few years, I would say BTCC meetings has better control over race spectators in previous seasons anyway, let alone what they were intending to do now.