View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2304985)   #44
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8
I hit an air filled tyre barrier at the Hayshed at in 2003 in a sidecar race.
MA has different rules concerning run offs mainly because bikes behave differently to cars when they leave the circuit and even side cars behave differently to normal 2 wheeled bikes (I've worked at many car & bike events at most circuits in Victoria and attended many serious and not so serious crashes in my 20+ years in the sport).

In any form of racing if a wall is in a position where it is likely to be hit "Head on" it will have a suplimentary form of protection being either tyre bundles or in the case of motorcycle events an air fence to help cushion some of the impact.

In my original post when I started this thread I was referring to the use of earth filled tyre walls as the main protection to keep the competing vehicles away from spectators and marshals.

I'm not sure of the exact where abouts at the Hayshed you had your off Jeff (on the left before or on the right side before or after) but your post suggests it wasn't a glancing blow collision but for both cars & bikes in a glancing blow a solid wall is better than tyres which grab the vehicle and can throw it anywhere as opposed to sliding along the wall to a stop.

I still stand by my original post statement that concrete walls are safer than earth filled tyres but do agree that in certain areas there MUST be additional protection where a head on or severe angle rather than glancing blow collision can occur.