View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3029343)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, if you were as useless with spanners and engineering as me, then you would be excluded from racing altogether if you couldn't use a preparer at some level!

I sent my car to the one-man-band down the road to lower the rear suspension and he charged me fifty quid. Is that cheque book racing? I physically couldn't do the job on my own, and I have no friends so can't call on any to help.

Back to the OP, I suggest he researches "Best Practice" and "Best Tweaks" for his car before entrusting it to a preparer, so he knows what needs to be done and checks it is done. Also learn the shortcuts, and learn what breaks otherwise he'll pay handsomely for the preparer's mistakes. And finally, a healthy dose of scepticism, there's an awful lot of bull**** around race car preparation! But be as clued up as they are, and it's just an extension of yourself but with talent.